Postdoctoral researcher: Language contact and language change in Northern China
The Centre de recherches linguistiques sur l’Asie orientale (CRLAO, Research center on East Asian linguistics, EHESS-CNRS-INALCO) in Paris, France, invites applications for one year postdoctoral research position in the project ‘Language contact in Northern China – Historical and Typological perspectives’ (LCNC, Programme CE27, ANR 2018) funded by the Agence nationale de la recherche (ANR, French National Agency for Research) and coordinated by Redouane Djamouri (CNRS, CRLAO).
The candidate will focus on language contact and morpho-syntactic changes in Northern-Chinese. The successful candidate could be either a specialist of historical linguistics working on Ancient Chinese documents (from the 13th c. to the modern period), or an expert of current dialects and languages in Northern China. She/he will assist one of the senior participants of the project in order to:
– Contribute to a better understanding of the areal diffusion of linguistic changes and to better define the typological characteristics that distinguish the northern Sinitic languages from those of the South of China.
– Investigate the changes observed from a typological and theoretical perspective (in order to be able to define the conditions and structural constraints that make the changes possible).
– Re-examine and enrich current theories and methodologies concerning language contact, in particular questions relating to transfer-induced changes, grammaticalization phenomena and analogical replications also induced by contact.
– Shed light on ‘atypical’ syntactic facts (difficult to explain by internal changes) in Yuan (13th century) and Qing (17th-19th century) documents and/or in actual Northern dialects.
– Undertake a diachronic study making it possible to trace and describe the morpho-syntactic changes due to contacts with Altaic languages.
– Contribute to a better knowledge of the genealogy of Mandarin dialects
Duration of the position is 12 months.
Starting date is January, 2022 depending on prevailing sanitary circumstances.
Job rank and salary: Post Doc, full-time (100%), net salary c. 2,400 EUR
Workplace: Centre de recherches sur la Linguistique des Langues Orientales, CRLAO, i.e. Research center on East Asian linguistics)/ Ecole des hautes études en sciences sociales, CRLAO, Bâtiment Sud, Campus Condorcet, 5 Cours des Humanités, 93322 Aubervilliers, France
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in France in accordance with the French laws and working conditions.
– A recent Ph.D. in linguistics
– Expertise in historical and/or dialectal linguistics in Northern China
– Be highly motivated and able to work independently
– Spoken and written English and Chinese;
How to apply Please submit :
– CV (with full details of name, address (including e-mail address), present occupation, school and university education, degrees, teaching and research experience, and publications).
– A cover letter describing research goals, and technical and research skills (max. 1 page)
– Certified copy of relevant degree(s)
– Research Proposal including research project details of the expected results, and a brief timetable.
– Two reference letters with contact details.
Applications should be sent electronically to: Redouane Djamouri (CNRS, CRLAO) firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 25 November 2021 (Midnight Paris Time)
For enquiries, contact: email@example.com
Interviews will be held by visioconference on the 29th-30th of November 2021